Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Seven Jeans

In class we have been talking about subjects like brand equity and Vera Wang's line at Kohl's. I have been noticing another brand that has lowered its prices and brand identity to reach a new market and that is Seven jeans. These jeans are now being sold at Kohl's also when I first noticed this I thought maybe that this is okay and it can have a blue label like Ralph Lauren's Polo line or Armani Exchange. The difference is that even though these companies also have blue labels they have been able to retain a level of exclusivity. Seven Jeans does not seem as though there are as successful. Ralph Lauren and Armani are brands that have been around for years and have a faithful consumer base and they also have faithful consumers who though they cannot afford wish they could. Today I went to Ross and they had a pair of Seven jeans for 19.99. I found this to be astonishing. Suddenly I no longer liked the jeans even though they were cute. I am someone who appreciates feeling like I have something that the average person may not. Selling jeans at a major discounter like Ross makes the company much less exclusive. I wonder what the discounted blue label of Seven jeans will do to the overall perception of its brand? I also wonder why I wasn't as disgusted when I saw a cable Polo sweater for 24.99.

No comments: